The time is nigh. Nigh, the time is now! The Portland Trophy Cup is a weekly series that comes from the minds of Clint Culpepper and Will Laubernds - the two behind the weekly training race that happens out at the fabled Portland International Raceway. Cyclocross happens out there each year during one or two weekends, but up until now there has yet to be a full on series like this. We went out and set up the course this evening (hence the picture of the stakes - oh my there are stakes) and everything should be ready to rock tomorrow evening. Here's what to expect (and what we are expecting from you).
- Some usage of not only the motocross course, but the lights as well, shedding sweet sweet rays into the darkest recesses of the course. There was some worry about doing a fall series so late in the evening, but with our older brother - Blind Date at the Dairy - happening in near darkness (I mean, look at the name) we figured people could handle themselves. Side Note: it is pretty sweet to see Steven Hunter rocking a kit I designed just for him, on their flyer.
- Amazingly well designed barriers. I've seen the ones that Tim and Eric from Rapha put together and I have hefted the ones from Western Bike Works. These are some solid and extremely handsome barriers going into action. Two sets. More than two sets? Who knows at this point? It is also great to see sponsors chipping in with more than just cash - because we know that it takes actual time to build barriers.
- Stakes. Did I mention the stakes? As Adam Myerson is fond of saying "cones are just a suggestion." Well, we took that to heart because I'll be damned if we want to offend the likes of Mr. Myerson. Besides, who is going to argue with the fact that a well taped course is a thing of beauty - and makes you feel all that more Euro (which is what we are all after anyway).
This right hander will be utilized.
- What do we need from you? Well, we started using the hashtag #PDXtrophycup this evening...and while I'm not usually a fan of hashtags or making people do things - we do want to see how much fun people are having at the races. Hopefully it will be plentiful. So, if you want to use the tag, then we will get to see how sweet it is out there for you.
- Beer. I don't mean to brag, however, this one is a pretty fucking big deal. I know, I know, it's been a long day and it has been made longer by the fact that your friends are jabbing you in the ribs after how badly they beat you on the course. Wait, what? There is beer? And we don't have to hide it?
- Sunshine. Doesn't get much better than that. The venue at PIR is one of the best around. Say, why don't we have a full on permanent cyclocross course there? Now there's an idea.